The Scramble for Africa
A. Scramble for Africa - Political Cartoon
Answer the following questions based on the Scramble for Africa cartoon
1. According to the cartoon, which European countries were fighting for a position in Africa?
2. How did the Berlin Conference lead to the situation shown in this cartoon?
B. Africa Map Comparisons
Examine the Maps below. Then answer the questions that follow
1. What is the main difference between the 2 maps?
2. What part did the Berlin Conference play in the creation MAP 2?
3. What happened to the native African political entities by 1914?
4. According to Map 2-- Which 2 European countries held the most territory in Africa?
C. African Political Divisions (1913)
Answer the following questions based on the chart above
1. What percentage of Africa was colonized by 1913?
2. According to the graph, Which 2 European countries held the most territory in Africa? (did you get the same answer as #4 in the Map Comparison above?)
3. What percentage Africa was controlled by the rest of the countries (excluding the 2 countries mentioned in #2)?
4. Think about it: Would the information in MAP 2 and the pie chart above be the same if there had never been a Berlin Conference?
5. Using ALL of the information you have learned about the 'Scramble for Africa' draw your own cartoon about the 'Scramble for Africa'.
D. Comparing African Maps
Compare MAP 2-- PARTITION OF AFRICA with the map of Africa from 1997 below
1. How did the Scramble for Africa in the 1800's and 1900's effect the current borders of Africa?