Summer Assignment 2016
Directions: After reading History of the World in Six Glasses Chapters 1 – 3, write or type the questions and answers on a separate piece of paper or by using the Google Forms Assignment Link. Assignment must be submitted by Monday, September 26th, 2016. Please answer all questions with detail from the chapters. Do not use Internet sources for your responses. Your evidence must come from the chapters.
History of the World in Six Glasses - Tom Standage
Chapter 1 - Beer
- How is the discovery of beer linked to the growth of the first “civilizations”?
- What does this history of beer in the ancient world tell us about the early civilizations?
- What sources does the author use to gather his information on the use of beer?
- What were some of the uses of beer by ancient cultures? Nourishment? Ritual? Religious?
- How did beer “civilize” man, according to Standage?
- What is the relationship between beer and writing, commerce, and health?
Chapter 2 - Wine
- How did the use of wine differ from that of beer in ancient Greece and Rome?
- How was wine used by the Greeks?
- How and why did wine develop into a form of a status symbol in Greece?
- How was wine consumed? What does this tell us about the ancient Greek culture?
- How did the use of wine in Roman culture differ from that of ancient Greece?
- What is the relationship between wine and empire, medicine, and religion.
Chapter 3 - Spirits
- What is the origin of distilled spirits?
- What is the connection between spirits and colonization?
- How was the production of spirits connected to slavery?
- What role did spirits play on the high seas?
- In the 18th century, how did spirits help Britain have a more superior navy than France?
- Why were spirits an important staple in Colonial America?
- How did rum play a role in the American Revolution?
- What were the negative effects/uses of spirits? (Use entire chapter to answer this)